Friday, February 15, 2008

Thing 3 - RSS feeds

Well, I have muddled my way through RSS feeds. Since I am already a Google member, I set up my feeds with Google Reader. I added a couple of of my fellow participant's blogs, one who just a little ahead of me and one who is far ahead of me. Then I added a blog feed from the ALA and another from WCCO. For some reason, when I tried to add the WCCO feed, I managed to add Katy's Real Estate Connection instead. It provided a great opportunity to learn how to delete a feed subscription.

I used the keyword search feature in Google Reader to look for blogs about libraries and librarians. It shows the number of subscribers and the number of posts per week for each blog. I was somewhat amused to see the number of blogs with almost no subscribers and/or no posts. I stayed away from them, but I also stayed away from the ones which had 20+ posts per week. I didn't think I'd ever find the time to read them all! The last feed I added was Spanish Word of the Day. Vocabulary builders are always useful. Also not very time consuming.

I can see where this would be a useful thing for a librarian who likes to read blogs, but runs out of time in her day. I'm certainly not one of those. I suppose it's a little like finding a favorite colunmnist, but I don't have time for many of those either. Perhaps this little exercise will get me started.

No comments: