Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thing 4 - Flickr


I have been exploring Flickr for a couple of hours now. I watched the Common Craft video since I already have a Yahoo account, I decided to create an account in Flickr as well altthough I didn't upload any photos. There seems to be a group for every conceivable type of photo: I looked at cat photo groups, library groups, abandoned buildings groups, etc. I finally decided on a photo from the North Dakota group, since that is the state that I grew up in. We don't get to go back nearly often enough and I miss the scenery and the wide-open feeling to the land (not so much the winter weather, though.) This photo is by Jason Oz. This is the link to the photo. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1399/1425914732_bd2048f80a_d.jpg
I don't know that I would use Flickr for media center photos. If we had any, we would probably just post them on our web page on the school district site. I might use it for personal photos, although I also have space on Shutterfly. I used Shutterfly to make a book of photos that I had taken of my sister-in-law's extensive flower gardens, and I was impressed by how customizable the book templates were and the quality of the books when I received them.
Mostly I just keep my photos at home on my computer, a dangerous proposition, I know, since I don't back them up to disk. On my computer I use Photoshop Elements for both editing and organization, and I make collections and tag through that application.
I was intrigued by some of the groups on Flickr. Many of them had photo contests, which I thought was a cute idea. I found a Canon DSLR users' group and I might join that or at least explore it further. Maybe I can get some help when my photos don't turn out the way that I think they should!

No comments: