Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing 7 - Web 2.0 Communication Tools

I have used e-mail for many years. I have three accounts: an official school account, an official home account, and a yahoo account that I use when I want to remain more anonymous. I use the school account frequently to talk to teachers, administrators, vendors, colleagues, etc., but not often with students. I find that e-mail is more effective than a telephone call in many cases. 

I IM very little and never with school personnel or students. I did have a very positive experience recently though, IMing through a home computer router problem with tech support. 

Texting is not my thing, but it is my son's preferred method of communication on his cell phone, so 0n occasion I text him just to prove that I can do it. Our students are not allowed to have cell phones, so texting is not something that would come to my library any time soon. Interestingly enough, I just learned that texting requires much less signal than an actual phone call, so if I'm ever lost in the woods, I hope that I remember to text because the message will be much more likely to get through!

I have attended several Minitex webinars and have found the information to be useful. I really do like being with other people when possible, but the webinars are more practical than driving somewhere. I also went to the OPAL archives and listened to a YALSA Teen Tech Week presentation about using videography with teens. We have 3 0r 4 teachers who assign video projects and many students use the video cameras that can be checked out through the library. I do many 7-minute tutorials on video shots and video editing for kids.

No comments: