Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 12 - Social Media

Ok, I have "reddit", but I don't know that I can "digg" it because it don't have enough time in my day to "mixx" "newsvine" with my subscription to the Star Tribune. Seriously, I went to all four sites and poked around, read some articles, and watched some videos. It was interesting to see the ways that a Website can massage the distribution of articles (most recent, most popular, etc.), but I don't know that it would drive my reading selections, although it might influence them on occasion. I was amused and sometimes confounded by what people found worthy of posting to the Internet, especially in terms of video. 
I did post two Washington Post stories that I read, one to del.icio.us and one to Digg. 
Of the four sites, I liked newsvine best, probably because after a casual browsing, it seemed to have the most articles, etc. that I actually felt like reading. I also like its layout and its code of honor.
To sum it up, I see these sites more as productivity detractors than enhancers. I prefer to make my own reading decisions and I don't feel the need to vote on anything. I did put newsvine on my del.icio.us account and am moving on to Thing 13.

No comments: