Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 13 - Online Productivity Tools

I've had a Yahoo account for years, and I do keep a calendar on that. In fact, I just sat down a few days ago and entered all of the pertinent dates for the new school year. (It's not that I am so organized; I was putting off another, more important task!) 
Because I am on Thing 13, I also spent some time on my Yahoo home page, which I had never done before--deleted a bunch of modules, but kept the weather, scoreboard, top stories from the AP, and the movie show times. 
Added Note to Self and To Do List, which seemed to me to be a better choice than yet another Web site like Ta da list or Remember the Milk. One of the things that I like is that you can minimize all of the modules, which gives my page a much cleaner look, while still allowing me almost instant access to information. I also added a Yahoo! bookmarks module along with a Bookmark it! marklet to my browser. I will probably use this rather than del.icio.us because it keeps everything in one place even though it doesn't allow me to share the way that del.icio.us does. Also, I quite often have my Yahoo calendar up throughout the day if I'm spending a lot of time on the computer.
When I get back to school, I might also talk to the tech people about an online calendar for scheduling the computer labs--it's something that we have discussed on a number of occasions, but have never found an online calendar that we really like. 
I bookmarked Zamzar immediately. I have a lot of students who come in wanting me to open documents that they have created at home and then can't open at school. Even the tech people send them (the students, not the documents) to me! Most of the documents that they bring in can be converted for free. I think that this will be very useful.
The PDF converters might also be useful. I have Acrobat Professional on my computer, but most of the staff do not. Either one of these sites could rate a quick demonstration on a staff inservice day.
I liked the intuitiveness of Stikkit and created an account, but when push comes to shove, I will probably use the extra features that I added to my Yahoo account. I'm all in favor of simplicity when possible.

No comments: