Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thing 20 - Libraries and Social Networks

I established an account on Facebook and joined the following groups: Childrens/YA librarians, 23 Things on a Stick, and Library 2.0 Interest Group. I chose those groups because they are in my area of interest. I also wrote on the wall of the 23 Things on a Stick group.
I can see where young people like MySpace and Facebook. It allows them to maintain friendships regardless of their physical location. I thought that MySpace was a little easier to navigate than Facebook. For some reason I seemed to have trouble grasping the interface.
I enjoyed looking a Hennepin County Library's MySpace page. I thought that they were very creative in modifying the layout of MySpace to accommodate the needs and interests of a library setting. Young people could link directly from the Denver MySpace page to online databases--I thought that was cool as well. I am ambivalent about whether I would want a library presence on MySpace, but it's something to think about.

No comments: